How to remove (uninstall) a screensaver
The Apple Mac OS X operating system allows for the easy removal of individual screensavers. Conveniently, screensavers can be uninstalled from the same panel where they can be activated: the "Screen Savers" panel within "System Preferences".
- To access the Screen Savers panel, click on the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, select "System Preferences", then click on "Desktop & Screen Saver" and finally click on the "Screen Saver" tab.
- Locate the name of the screensaver you wish to delete, then right-click on it and select "Move to trash".
- Confirm that you want to delete the screensaver to finalize its removal from the Screen Savers panel.
Can't delete a screensaver?
Not all screensavers can be removed this way, like those that come with a Mac by default. Refer to the below instructions for an alternative method to delete such screensavers.
- Open the Finder and press Command+Shift+G on your keyboard to bring up the "Go to folder" panel.
- Enter "~/Library" (without quotation marks) and click "Go".
- Locate the "Screen Savers" folder and double-click it.
- If the screensaver you wish to delete is listed here, click and drag it to the Trash icon on your Dock to remove it.
- If the screensaver is not listed, or you wish to delete any of the default screensavers, press Command+Shift+G again, enter "/System/Library" and double-click the "Screen Savers" folder. All screensavers that were installed for all users are listed here, and can be removed by dragging them to the Trash icon or by right-clicking on them and selecting "Move to trash".
Need help? Have questions?
We're here to help. Post your question or problem on our message board.