What is the Windows Screen Saver Settings Panel?
The Screen Saver Settings panel, so named since Windows Vista, is the control center for screensavers under Windows. It allows you to browse, configure and preview the screensavers installed on your computer. Earlier versions of Windows, such as XP and 2000, provided a Screen Saver tab from within the Display Properties panel.
What does it look like?
Apart from the fact that it has been separated from the Display Properties panel since Windows Vista, not much has changed about the screen saver settings window, as you can see in the comparison below. On the left is the "Screen Saver Settings" panel on Windows 7, on the right the "Screen Saver" tab on Windows XP.
What can I do here?
- Change the current screensaver using the drop-down menu;
- Preview and configure the selected screensaver using the "Settings" and "Preview" buttons;
- Change the "Wait" time, i.e. the number of minutes that should pass before the screensaver starts;
- Choose to display a password-protected logon screen after the screensaver exits (tick or untick the box);
- Easily access your power management settings (only on Windows Vista and newer);
- Confirm any changes you've made with the "OK" or "Apply" button. Click "Cancel" to quit without saving.
How do I get there?
- Return to your desktop using the "Show desktop" icon on the Quick Launch toolbar. Alternatively, press the Windows logo key + D on your keyboard, or right-click on the taskbar and select "Show the Desktop".
- Right-click on an empty spot on your desktop (not on a shortcut icon) and select "Personalize".
- In the window that has just opened, click "Screen Saver".
- At the bottom-left of your screen, click the Start Menu button, then select "Control Panel".
- Click on "Appearance and Personalization", then click on "Change Screen Saver".
- Return to your desktop by pressing the Windows logo key + D on your keyboard, or by right-clicking on the taskbar and selecting "Show the Desktop".
- Right-click on an empty spot on your desktop (not on a shortcut icon) and select "Properties".
- Click the "Screen Saver" tab at the top of the window that has just opened.
- At the bottom-left of your screen, click the "Start" button, then select "Control Panel"
- Click on "Appearance and Themes", then click "Choose a screen saver".